My policy priorities for our Economy :
- Support our finance industry
- Cultural, heritage and environmental tourism
- Encouragement of a Hi – tech & creative sectors
- Reducing unnecessary regulation
- Improvement in our local skill base
- Promote utility scale renewable energy
- More sustainable agriculture
I will continue to support the advance to work scheme and other initiatives introduced by Social Security which have ameliorated the loss of local jobs. We must support new enterprises with local job creation programmes, and remove unnecessary bureaucratic controls.
We must continue to support our finance industry which has had to adapt to the new international policy landscape and accept layers of rigorous new regulation. However, we have to recognise that our Finance sector is unlikely to replicate its past economic growth. I will work to help this industry diversify.
I will press for a review of of the zero ten corporate tax structure. I want to halt the leakage of locally generated operating profits exported tax free by non locally owned corporates , which are subsidised by income support payments . This undermines locally owned businesses. Guernsey has made corporate tax changes despite zero ten, Jersey should also do so.